Wills and Testaments in UAE
Creating certainty in inheritance matters in accordance with your instructions.
If the deceased passes without a will the inheritance of his/her assets is guided by a set pre-determined formula based on the principles of Sharia Law. For example, the wife of the deceased automatically receives 1/8th of her spouse’s estate if she has children. There is no right of survivorship in the case of company shareholding, the shares are distributed in amongst surviving members of the deceased’s family.
THINC provide advice and guidance on the bequeathing of assets such as real estate, shareholdings, investments and personal belongings. THINC provide a comprehensive service from will drafting to registration and administration of estate.
This service is exclusively for non-Muslims.
There are different ways of registering a will in the UAE
If assets are located in DIFC, UAE & Globally:
DIFC Wills Service Centre
- Drafting of the Will can be done by:
- From a pre-approved template
- By a pre-approved wills draughtsman
- By a lawyer
If assets are located only in UAE:
Dubai Courts & Abu Dhabi Judicial Department
- Drafting of the Will can be done by a lawyer
- Attestation of the Will by Notary Public providing the following documents:
- Certified Arabic translation of the Will
- Original ID documents
- Proof of ownership documents
Executor of the deceased’s will shall either make an application for:
- Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration if will is registered in DIFC; or
- Succession Certificate if will is registered in Dubai Courts & Abu Dhabi Judicial Department.