Meet Jshree Gupta
Founding Partner and Managing Director
“THINC is an expression which means a complete understanding of our client’s business and legal needs…
… I set THINC up as my strong belief is that the legal profession as we currently know it and how its being practised will soon be outdated. Our clients will demand the in-house experience with the expertise and the commerciality that comes with it. And the digital revolution of our time will support this transition fully.”
Jshree is the Founding Partner and Managing Director at THINC.
She’s a dual qualified advocate and solicitor (England and India) and has been practicing for 25 years with global law firms. She has unrivaled experience in the Gulf advising on a range of corporate and commercial matters.
Jshree is an established member of the Gulf community and one of the most influential female lawyers in the region who has appeared on power lists including that of Arabian Business.
Successful collaboration with Jshree?
Recommend me on LinkedIn
Or leave your review below
Jshree has recently set up The In-House Company or THINC, a legal consultancy and business advisory firm. Her decades of experience in top law firms in Dubai, Mumbai, and London cemented her expertise in regional M&A, joint ventures, strategic tie-ups and franchising. Her sectors of expertise include retail, sport, technology, e-commerce, and technology to name a few.
She has previously pioneered the set up on an international law firm in the region and has served on various global committees in IT and innovation. She has also served on the Dubai International Financial Centre’s regulatory supervision committee for 8 years.
She has been an ardent diversity and inclusion champion and writes regularly including a column on “She Power” and contributes regularly to legal journals and newspapers on a variety of legal topics primarily related to M&A, digitization, technology, smart cities, and e-commerce.
Timeline and Milestones
- 2018 – Founder and Managing Partner at THINC
- 2018 – Registered Legal Consultant at Dubai Legal Affairs Department
- 2014 – Partner at Baker & McKenzie, Habib Al Mulla
- 2006 – Partner at DLA Piper, UAE
- 1997 – Solicitor, Supreme Court of England & Wales, England
- 1995 – Partner at Dentons, UAE
- 1995 – Advocate, High Court. Mumbai, India
- International Law
- Competition Law
- Commercial & Non-commercial Litigation
- Corporate Governance
- Cross-border Transactions
- Intellectual Property
- Securities Regulation
- Joint Venture
- Banking Law
- International Arbitration
- Legal Advice
Global Areas of Practice
- Consumer & Retail
- Luxury & Fashion
- Technology & E-commerce
- International Trade
- Joint Ventures
- Marketing & Sales
- Private M&A
- Public M&A
Notable Sector Cases
- Advising the ETA Group in relation to its divestment in education including negotiating the sale of Birla Institute in Academic City to the Birla Group. Restructuring the service provider entities in Dubai knowledge Village.
- Assisting the Bank of Nova Scotia with respect to Scotia Mocatta acquiring the bullion business of Standard Chartered and structuring of their bullion business in the GCC and gold trust receipt documentation for the bullion desk.
- Advising the Emirates Bank Group and Emirates Financial Services in relation to its virtual branch, electronic banking systems, drafting terms and conditions, advising Network International and Diners Club, subsidiaries of the Group on credit card agreements including virtual cards, gateway and processing agreements, offline and online ATM agreements on iPay, a pre-loaded internet credit card and its terms and conditions, advising on intellectual property issues associated with internet banking products.
- Advising several Silicon Valley clients such as Cisco Systems, Extreme Networks and ITXC in respect of setting up in the Dubai Internet City and regulatory issues and advising financial institutions in respect of Internet products and partnership with e-commerce service providers and related intellectual property protection aspects.
- Advised the leading Dubai-based retail and hospitality firm, Marka PJSC, on its US$85.7 million acquisition of the award-winning Middle Eastern restaurant chain Reem Al Bawadi.
- Advising on franchise agreements and IP arrangements for companies such as THE One, Tower Records, Aujan Industries, and White Stores. Managing trademark portfolios of these clients for global registrations.
- Advising the Al Moosa owned Arenco Group on and preparing documents in relation to establishment and construction of a hotel and the management of the hotel by a number of international hotel chains such as Dusit Thani and Hilton.
St Xavier’s College — B.A. Economics
Government Law College, Mumbai — LL.B. International Law & Legal Studies
She is a keen golfer in her spare time with a single digit handicap. Jshree also enjoys writing and directing drama, dance, and musical productions for her friends and family.